I have recently finished reading The slight edge by Jeff Olson. One of the things he talks about is the link between happiness and success, so I thought I would share the 5 happy habits as recommended by Shawn Achor (his Ted talk is attached below). Being happy has many benefits and there appear to be many supporting statistics out there, but for me, I think being happy is enough reward in itself.
So what are the 5 happy habits? And what are the rules for applying them?
Here’s the overarching rule. You pick one of the happy habits and incorporate it into your daily routine. Any habit, so check out the list and see which ones work for you.
- Write down 3 things that made you happy in the last 24 hours.
- Spend 2 minutes writing about one positive experience you had in the last 24 hours.
- Exercise for 10 minutes a day.
- Practice meditation for 2 minutes a day.
- Perform an act of kindness without expecting anything in return.
Now I think most of us could squeeze something from that list into our busy day. Shawn recommends repeating this for 21 days to create a positive habit.
For more on happiness…5 Ways to turn happiness into an advantage
Hope you enjoy the video 🙂